This is one of those rare smaller pieces that I made a few weeks ago where I used none of my usual vintage photos...until I decided to move it into a larger cigar box and re-work the idea a bit.
The cigar box...lid removed...covered with old mapping paper and sanded.
I've been "partitioning" much of my work lately.
Adding the inside balsa wood "borders" that the glass will sit upon (the same mapping paper is also glued onto these little border pieces).
An old hostess button as well as some photos glued (clear silicon) to the bottom of some glass lenses...
I grabbed this bag of cheap plastic magnifying lenses at a thrift shop some time ago...enough to last me a life time.
Getting everything positioned and glued (and screwed) into place.
The final piece...multi-layered and covered with glass...a shrine to hostesses everywhere.
Mano a Mano
Another project moving one of my small, recently created assemblage pieces (from a few weeks ago) into a larger wooden box...with the addition of another vintage cabinet photo, plastic doll hands and a cheap plastic frame.
A Little More Mona
I created a small assemblage project using the back part of a vintage camera...the part that would have once held the film. There was just enough room to build a small boxed space, adding a vintage photo, etc. After having this piece sit on my worktable for the last few weeks, I decided that I wanted to do more with it (as often seems to be the case).
I dug out one of my old wooden card catalog drawers (that I had recycled from the city dump a couple years ago).
The camera assemblage was destined to be a most perfect fit into the drawer.
Gluing it into place, I then created a cardboard divider toward the other end of the box...wanting to use that space for something more.
I lined the box (as well as the cardboard divider) with some of my old mapping paper. I also glued into place a balsa wood "lip" that runs around the inside edge of both compartments...a great way to position and glue glass into place.
A somewhat creepy porcelain doll's head seemed to be screaming..."Pick me!"
I sanded down the back of the dolls head (with an electric rotary sander) to make it flat...easier to glue into place upon a wooden "floater."
Adding a small metal frame over the face (this cardboard/frame piece glued onto the inside "lip"), the piece was almost complete.
With a final cutting of glass and placing it over the camera assemblage (also glued onto the "lip"), the piece is now complete with multiple layers and dimensions.
Anatomy Of A Box